Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sometimes you gotta feed momma

I was invited to a women's Bible study yesterday that was just what I needed. I needed to get out. I needed to talk to other adults. I needed to talk to other women. I needed to hear the conflicts and struggles these women wrangle with and be encouraged by the support system they've created amongst themselves. It was emotional and refreshing and filled me up just enough.

They meet every Tuesday morning for a couple of hours and I'd really like to keep going. My challenge is Landon (4). I have to convince him to either go to the church nursery during that time or go to preschool which is housed in Hayden and Keaton's school. He's dead-set against any kind of school or anything that resembles school; he won't even go to Sunday school. (**sigh**)

Have any of you out there dealt with this? The drop-and-run technique is tempting but I hate to force him to go and leave him screaming (which I have no doubt he will do) and make everyone around him miserable (again, no doubt...poor teacher). But Mom needs a teeny, tiny break. I have two weeks to figure this out since the group doesn't meet next Tuesday due to Spring Break.

Okay, put on those thinking caps mommas! How do I get a hard-headed, set-in-his-ways, somewhat spoiled (yes, he takes after his father...LOL) four-year-old to go to school? The little guy could surely use some structured activities (remember our toilet stuffing here, oh, and here?) and this mom definitely needs some adult interaction.

3 comments:

Abbie said...

totally went through this with Liv. I just talked it up to her a lot, and when she would say 'but I don't want to go', I would just tell her that sometimes we have to do things that we don't think we like to do. Find out some of the other kids names in there and talk about them so he has some names to look forward to seeing.
Hope it gets easier, because I know how important it is to get that adult interaction for ourselves!

jubilee said...

The Calm One and I incorporated the drop and run technique. Sounds brutal, but it worked for us. We have a stubborn child in our family who had it in his head to not go to the church nursery for awhile. But truthfully, I think he really wanted to be there, he just wanted to try to flex his muscles a little.
I feel for you. It's tough, but you're right in that you need some "mommy time."
We also tell our kids that "Mommy needs a time-out" so that I can have a couple hours to myself once in awhile.

Amanda said...

I hate to say this but from a very young age I had to sneak out on my oldest. He just did better if I snuck away. It was the parting that was hard on him. If he didn't notice that I was gone, he got over it VERY quickly. He's almost seven and still needs an exceptionally long good bye if I don't plan things well.

That may not be any help for you, but... don't feel bad if that's what you've got to do. After the Sunday School post, I think it may be easier for you!