Tuesday, March 11, 2008

We have a college

Part of my anxiety last week was the fact that Sutton was traveling to Virginia for an official college visit by herself. I was very upset about not getting to go with her, especially since I thought this was "the one." But with five other kids, school, International Day projects, and Jimmy being out of town, there was just no way.

So I dropped my not-so-little (but in my mind, still my baby) Sutton off at the airport last Thursday at 4:30 am for her flight to Virginia with instructions to call me about anything and everything. She did.

She called at the layover in Atlanta. ("I'm sure I can find my next gate, but I'll call you if I can't.")

She called when she landed in Virginia. ("I'm looking for the coach, I'll call you in a minute.")

She called when she saw the campus. (whispering..."It's BEAUTIFUL here, Mom! I'll call you later.")

She called from the campus. (whispering again..."Oh. My. Gosh. Mom. It's ridiculous how much I love it here!!...call you soon.")

She called from the coach's office. ("Mom? I just committed. Is that okay?")

She called 32 more times the next two days, full of every emotion imaginable, including "Mom, I'm here at the airport and can't find my license!!" and the most stressful one, "Mom! My flight's been cancelled and I can't get home until tomorrow!! What do I do?!"

It all worked out and she eventually made it home. And the really, really good news is that the great college search is finally over. While the official signing day is in April, Sutton has committed to play volleyball for a coach she likes so much. She is a little apprehensive about being so far from home, but we'll survive.

Congratulations Sutton! We are very proud of you.

13 comments:

Annikke said...

She isn't even my daughter (or relative for that matter) and I got a little teary eyed that the search is finally over. As I've followed her travels I am excited that she found one she loves!

Congrats to all of you!

Anonymous said...

me too! teary eyed that is...wow! congratulations to all! How exciting!

Jenny said...

WOW. Cannot even imagine how excited/nervous/apprehensive/proud/scared/happy/anxious/thrilled you are Devin! Congrats!!!

Abbie said...

HAHHAA I was just going to get on here and tell you how it kinda made me teary and she's not even MY daughter, but two other people beat me to it! hahah

What an exciting time, Devin! You must be so proud of her! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Congratulations!!!!

I got teary eyed hearing how my step daughter M.is moving to BOSTON next year for school, and come here and get teary eyed at this girl too... what is up with me? lol!

MKHKKH said...

Yeah Sutton! Yeah Devin!! What a BIG moment for you guys. I don't know how you are coping Devin. The thought of one of my girls leaving breaks my heart but I would be oh so proud if one was going in the way Sutton is! I played volleyball too. The girls are looking like they are on the tall end. So maybe we will be in your shoes in few years.

Anonymous said...

Alright this is the last time I am visiting your blog!! I come here to laugh - not cry; I don't do tears!!

Congratulations to both of you!! Way to go, Sutton!! Well done, Mom!!

TiffanyB

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! I am sooo happy for you guys! Sooo excited for Sutton and I am sure she is way EXCITED herself!! I love you both and will have to call later! ~Maeli

Barbara said...

Good for her!

My baby (firstborn) is only going to be 20 minutes away (15 in an emergency) and I'm having panic attacks. Good luck, mama!

Unknown said...

Guys! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am trying to convince myself that all will be okay. She's nervous about being so far away, but with volleyball to keep her busy I'm hoping there will be less time to be homesick.

Ack! This growing up stuff is hard!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sutton!

She won't have time to be homesick...she will be having too much fun.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

HI Devon! I am a MOM just like you! I have 5 kids- 3 girls and 2 boys! 13,11,9,8,4. I know what life is like! BUSY! I am about i hour from Radford...It is an AWESOME school! I live in Lynchburg, VA, and went to Liberty U. I would love to get to know your daughter if she needs a break from college life and do her laundry! If you have facebook, you can look up my name - Debby Warren and see my life! :) She could probably teach my kids a thing or two! :)

Debby :)

PS...I've see you on the CCB board as well! I frequent there as I sell my kids clothes when they are done with them! :) I have learned a lot from that board...My email is:
Deb4wade@msn.com

Amanda said...

Virginia is beautiful! She'll love it. Your pride shines through your posts.