Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My new white shirt


There is little I like better than to put on a crisp, new, white shirt. I go through several every spring and summer. I never spend much money on one because they are practically disposable with five kids hanging around me, but with their versatility and comfort, I see them as a wardrobe requirement.

I recently bought the nicest white, long-sleeved t-shirt at Target. It is a maternity shirt that is the necessary crisp and white and I proudly paid the $4.99 clearance price to bring it home.

I brought it out of my closet this morning, ironed it, and donned it for the dreaded doctor's appointment I mentioned in my post below. I was careful not to touch it with smudged hands, not to press against any dirty surfaces and to lean way over as I ate or drank.

As the day progressed, however, I noticed my shirt getting dirtier and dirtier. First, there was a tiny butter and jelly speck (but I didn't eat breakfast as I was getting weighed, remember?). Then I noticed a few toothpaste spots (I'm not an errant spitter.) Later I discovered what looked like chocolate right near the other spots and began to get very frustrated. What was happening?!

About that time Landon jumped into my lap:

Landon: "What's my baby stister doing?" (Yes, he said "stister.")

Mom: "Oh, not much...she's being very quiet right now."

Landon: "My baby stister is a grill, not a boy wike me." (Yes, he said grill.)

Landon: (as he threw his body forward and kissed my belly hard and fast): I love my baby stister and I wike to kiss her."

There it was; my answer. All those marks and specks and smudges on my new, crisp, white shirt were big brother kisses, a trail of all things left on those sweet lips just before he showed baby "stister" his unconditional love.

So I'll take my new, crisp, almost white shirt and bleach it tonight. I won't be upset that I might have waisted my $5.00; just thankful to have such a loving toddler, eager to show his love to someone he can't yet see, but confident his little sister knows he's here and he already adores her.

No comments: