Wednesday, March 05, 2008

School project HELL

I know it's a harsh sounding title but it perfectly describes our life the past few weeks. I cannot accurately explain the horrible state of disarray my home has been in as we researched, planned and then put together the projects you see below for Keaton (10) and Hayden (6). The backboards were due the past two days while the costumes and food, unique to their researched country, are due Friday when everything is presented to the rest of the school (and all of the parents) on International Day.

We still have to pick recipes from Cameroom and Congo, buy the ingredients, cook the food, and figure out a unique way to display the food. We also have to go to fabric stores, find Congo and Cameroon-like fabric (??), and figure out how to make costumes unique to those countries.

AND (can't you just feel my aggravation?!) guess who leaves tonight on a business trip, only to return Friday night, conveniently AFTER International Day presentations?!! Thankfully, my mom, the original drama mama, arrives today to help.

So, to all you moms with little ones not yet in school, you must know...even though the teacher says it's your child's project...They're lying!! It's your project because you will do 90% of the work for your children who can't possibly complete the assignment alone.

I just thought you all needed to hear it from me.

I'm not bitter.

Really.

Jimmy's Hayden's project
















My Keaton's project
















*Update* Awwwwwww...Mr. Business trip just left with four-year-old-hellion to scope out costume shops. There's hope!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea how many Science Fair projects I have done over the years?...........Devin, I definitely feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Sounds tiring and expensive!
Hope all goes well...

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with ya sister....
And let's not forget the essays and (I don't know how to write as good as you) that come along in high school.
L

Annikke said...

I hear ya...I complained to one of the teachers that these projects are really "Our Project" and she was slightly offended. I am sorry but there is no possible way my kids can complete these projects without my help. If for no other reason... THEY CANT DRIVE to go to the stores to track down supplies, etc. Plus, sometimes my first grader simply misses the entire point of his project... UGH

MKHKKH said...

I am in the middle of a Revolutionary War power point project with costume for my FIRST grader! PLEASE!!!!! I am with ya girl. Glad I only have one to do right now. Ugggg.

Steph said...

So this is what my future has to hold, huh? So far we've only had a few projects, that were no where near what you have done. But then again, we're only talking kindergarten. Can't wait for next year (thanks for the encouragement, Katie!)...

BTW, YOUR projects look awesome Devin!

Barbara said...

At one point in the kids' early school years I decided that getting a degree in education must include some sort of training to torture parents. This is just one of the many reasons we switched to homeschooling! It's actually much easier than pleasing teachers.

Anonymous said...

All that work for their school project - sounds like homeschool!! At least I know better than to assign something I know will require more work from me than from him. Yikes!!!
Tiffany in GA