Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The perfect way to talk with my teenage daughter

I had an aunt tell me once, at her own daughter's high school graduation party, that the Lord prepares mothers to send their children off to college by making the little darlings so wretched their senior year of high school that the moms are happy to send them on their way. I scoffed at the time because my then sweet 13 year old was quiet, obedient, and hung on every word I said. Little did I know that five years later my precious little poster child for the perfect offspring would turn into this surly, impatient, grouser who acts as if she can barely tolerate me, let alone be in the same room.

I have learned that speaking with her as an adult is an act of futility since at 18 she's still a kid in many ways, and therefore, our conversations are a series of her dramatic overreactions to anything coming out of my mouth. The phone also produces it's share of theatrical responses that send this mama over the edge.

We have found, I am excited to report, a way in which we can finally exchange ideas calmly, rationally, and without my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels...

We instant message while in the same house!

She's on the upstairs computer, I'm downstairs on my laptop, and we have a delightful time. I check the status of scholarship searches, college applications, and homework assignments, all with nary a tiff. I don't have to see her eye rolls, I can't hear her deep, heavy, how-can-you-be-so-stupid-mom sighs, and the sarcasm loses it's bite somewhere between her keyboard and mine.

We have found a way to talk again! And with 101 days until graduation (not that I'm counting or anything), we might just make it.

13 comments:

Jenny said...

Yikes. I'm plugging my ears right now and singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" REALLY LOUD...I don't want to hear this stuff. I really don't. I have 3 talkative, lovely, mostly well-behaved little girls right now who still think I'm the cat's meow, and I don't want to believe it comes to this. I can't believe it.

Unknown said...

Jenny,
I'm so soory to be the first to tell you. I didn't believe it either and it snuck up and bit me on the butt when she was about 17 (late bloomer, I hear). Maybe you'll be one of the lucky few to miss this dreaded stage!

soccermom10 said...

My boys are 16 and 13 and let me tell you that it is no easier communicating with boys.......

Jenny said...

Devin- First, I really can't say thanks enough for the great comments you left me...that's the info and support I need!
And... I guess I'd rather know now what the future holds for my girls, well, maybe. Which works best..."Ignorance is bliss" or "Knowledge is power"? Either way, I love your blog and you have the cutest family. Thanks for the reality checks!!!

Unknown said...

soccermom10, Ouch! Got two of those in the pipeline...I was hoping for a lull in the yucky attitude department.

Jenny, I guess "ignorance is bliss" is the way to go. Even after this child, I am still in my utopian fantasyland enough to believe that the other three girls still to come will not be this way...you'd think I'd know better.

Anonymous said...

To bad (for my mom) that we didn't have all this fantastic technology back when I was an eye~rolling teenager.Yes, I admit it! It would have made for a happier family I'm sure.

Paybacks are soon on there way with a 12 year old who is already showing signs that she takes after her mother. Help me!

Devin~ thanks for the tip...I'll be asking for a laptop for Mother's day?

Also, thanks for the lovely comments you left me.

jubilee said...

I'm not trying to one up you, but my daughter is five and she's rolled her eyes at me a time or two. Until she got "the look." She's also at the stage where she hates the thought of anyone being mad at her so it kind of evens out.
I know how difficult I was as a teenage girl so I am very scared that my daughter will be just like me.

icanseeclearlynow said...

hi there. i found this post through andrea's wandering wednesdays and i had to click on and read. i am mom to two girls, 16 and 19. TOUGH TOUGH job! my college sophomore girl and i are all lovey-dovey with text messages and emails too! what a BEAUTIFUL thing technology is!

:)

maria

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

mom! you make me seem like a devil child... i love you.

Unknown said...

I love you too babe, just needed to vent.

MKHKKH said...

I will have to right that one down for future use with three future teenage girls. I am terrified if they are anything like I was. What is the saying? Paybacks are a????????

Anonymous said...

Ahhh!!! I haven't seen you guys in forever! How are all of you!?! Sutton... I still love you! HAHAHA!!