Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The 11th Commandment?



Hayden was studying his Bible verse for this week which happened to be the Fourth Commandment: "Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy." He quickly memorized it and decided to look ahead to future verses, reading Commandments Five and Six, verses for the next two weeks, with ease.

Hayden: "Mom! I can even read the next one, number 7!

Mom: "You can? What is it?"

Hayden: "Thou shalt not get allergies."

Mom (pausing to look at him): "I don't think that's what it says. Try again."

Hayden (pointing to his school paper): "Yes ma'am! See, right here, 'Thou shalt not get allergies.'"

Mom: "Hayden, it says 'Thou shalt not commit adultery.'"

Hayden: "Oh, what does that mean? God doesn't want us to get sick?"

Mom (stammering like crazy): "Well, umm...umm...God just...umm...hmmm.

Hayden: "Don't you know, Mom?"

Mom (accepting temporary defeat): "You're right, Hayden, God doesn't want us to get sick."

Hayden (nodding proudly): "I knew that."

Whew! I just bought myself two more weeks to decide how to explain adultery to a six-year old boy. I think maybe Dad should handle this one.

No comments: