Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they will never cease to be amused


Recently someone I know was applying makeup (my husband calls it "war paint") while looking into a magnifying mirror (very bad idea) when something on my chin (okay, fine, this is all about me) caught my attention.

Upon closer inspection (actually a panic-filled probe) I discovered a hair. There was a hair protruding proudly from my chin! This hair wasn't just lying there as hair on a woman's chin should; rather it was standing alert and proud, waving wildly back at me. And to make matters worse (if that's possible) the hair was gray! What? I'm getting so old that I couldn't even muster a dark-colored hair on my chin?

How is this possible? I only recently celebrated my "milestone" birthday. Should this sort of thing be happening already? And for that matter, what's next? Will I be searching for my spectacles soon? Am I doomed for the little blue-tinted hair color aisle at the grocery store? Will I be trading in my beloved treadmill for a walker long before I'm ready?

I plucked that ugly, wretched whisker with my best tweezers, hoping I pulled it from the deepest follicle. Now I need to decide, should I continue using that magnifying mirror so I can snatch any future (gasp!) beastly chin bristles? Or should I pretend to ignore any more troublesome tufts?

So as I ponder this earth-shattering decision, I will grab my magnifying mirror and do a quick body search since really, who knows where else I might be sprouting these hag-like, errant gray hairs from next? I will pioneer my own plucking frenzy since I don't need anyone pointing them out to me because, frankly, I'm horrified enough.

5 comments:

Miranda said...

At least you hit a milestone birthday before noticing errant hairs on your chiny, chin, chin. I've been plucking them since I was in my mid 20s. It really does stink.

Anonymous said...

At least I have someone to commiserate with now. Miranda was literally horrified (You should have seen her face!) a couple weeks ago when she noticed 5-6 grey hairs on the side of my head. I had noticed they are there - but was in denial...

Anonymous said...

I have my milestone in September and my buddy I have lunch with found my first gray hair this week. She pulled and said it had Courtney's and Whitney's name ALL over it.... It's tough getting old, but I'm right there with ya.

Lisa

Unknown said...

You guys are making me feel better. The changes of getting older are a constant surprise to me. I think I'm just resisting. LOL!

Anonymous said...

My wife, plucking grey hairs from her CHIN??? What's next?, DEPENDS?!

JJ