Monday, October 16, 2006

Sundae Sunday



In our house I don't usually cook on Sundays. We often eat out for lunch after church and by Sunday evenings the kitchen is closed. I'd like to claim some lofty, noble reason for neglecting the dietary needs of my family, such as "It's Sunday. I'm not supposed to work," but that wouldn't hold much water as I make my way to the local mall to shop on the Sabbath. Hypocrisy isn't an attractive character feature.

Normally, we have cereal as our Sunday evening meal. The kids are used to it, they expect it. However, every once in a while, we have an ice cream dinner on Sunday nights. Before you solidify your stance that I am, indeed, a pathetic excuse for a mother, do know that the children are required to eat something dinner-like (sandwich, left-overs, cereal) before the ice cream.

Our dear, sweet friends, Miranda and Dave, came for "dinner" last night. We all enjoyed an assortment of sundae options. Hayden went for plain vanilla with whipped cream and a cherry. Landon was more adventurous, enjoying chocolate ice cream, whipped cream and sprinkles. Keaton, however, made the night's masterpiece, complete with two kinds of ice cream, several candy toppings, whipped cream, sprinkles, and chocolate sauce drizzled on top.

Miranda and Dave were, as usual, gracious while allowing every child a moment (or more) of their time, making each one feel noticed, a feat I feel I rarely accomplish. Dave and Miranda "oooohed" and "aaaaahed" at all the right spots and patiently ignored the frequent interruptions.

We enjoyed the company and look for more excuses to incorporate ice cream into our dinner plans. I will continue my quest to discourage Sunday night home-cooked meals and encourage "Sunday Cereal Night." I will cook occasionally as I did last Sunday, just so we don't have to eat out every Sunday lunch. I must be careful, however, that the evening meal, whether it's chicken fried steak or Corn Flakes, appear at the right times, you never know when there's a good sale at the mall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record, despite the photo, my face is not deformed. I'll have to pose next time. Clearly the Jones' children have learned to look pretty for the camera and the blog!