Thursday, January 01, 2009

1000th post

Funny how it worked out, New Year's Day is the same day as my 1000th post. Perfect timing. I wish the rest of my life would fall into place so easily.

I was inspired this morning by one of the devotionals I have emailed to me each day. The author encouraged: rather than making grand resolutions that fade in a few weeks, we should focus on small, yet important changes in our lives.

Little changes... conscious little choices that push your walk with God in one direction or another. Little choices to let God in or to hold Him at a distance. Little choices of attitude; little choices of purity in thoughts or choices of entertainment. Little choices. Invite Him into them. You will be amazed at the results.

Hmm.

In reading the passage I recognized that I have over the years been doing that very thing in my parenting and in my relationship with my spouse. Implementing big changes tends to overwhelm my children so I know I need to make small adjustments to their schedules, chores, requirements so as not to confound them and upset the proverbial apple cart. My husband too, no fan of unnecessary grand alterations, must be dealt with in subtleties.

So it makes sense that I need to do the same in my own life. Choose daily to let God be a part of the little choices. In my parenting. In my marriage. In the nuances of my life. In my silly little blog that tens of people read every day. As my little changes produce big changes, and as He creates what is right and good in this heart of mine.

I'll write post 1001 tomorrow, a thousand posts gone but thousands more possible. Like the small changes, small choices ahead in the New Year that I now face with freshness and anticipation because He is holding my hand.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have been struggling with the rather large "changes" I seem to insist that my family make which always leads to that proverbial apple cart you talked about. It has been on my heart for the last several weeks to find an easier and smaller way to make these changes. Thank you for sharing your devotion with us today. It has definitely been an answer to my unspoken prayer. Thank you for being an inspiration to many of us! You may not know it, but you are ministering to so many people! Thank you for all you do!

Happy New Year and may an abundance of blessings fall on you and your family this year!

Shelley

Unknown said...

Happy 1000! That's a pretty awesome goal to reach :)

And I like the devotional too. Mind sharing where you get them emailed from?

TiffanyB said...

Thanks for sharing that!! It is so timely and so true.

Unknown said...

Shelley,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comment. You and I lead parallel lives, don't we? Oh, these boys. LOL. I am so fortunate to have you as a friend. May we all enjoy those blessings of which you speak.

Unknown said...

Blogging Mama,
I use several sites. This particular one came from Christian Women Today Daily Devotional. You can subscribe here: http://www.truthmedia.com/scripts/newsletters/christianwomentoday.com/I also enjoy Scriptures for America at http://scripturesforamerica.org/blog/
Then I have "My Utmost for His Highest" and "Streams in the Desert" which are devotional books I read as well. I may not be able to carve out a chunk of time each day for intense study but four smaller times for each short devotional each day tend to happen easily.

Unknown said...

Tiffany,
How are you girl?! How 'bout getting a blog so I can keep up with you?!

Abbie said...

What beautiful beautiful words, Devin. Thank you so much for sharing them. And happy 1000th post and Happy New Year! :)

Roselawn said...

Wow, 1000 posts! I'm impressed! Your response to the devotion was very inspiring to me as well. It seemed to run a common thread with our Sunday School lesson this morning as well. Amazing how God works to speak to us, huh?

Sherry