Friday, August 01, 2008

Volleyball player needs our prayers

I have more pictures to post of our vacation but I can't even think about that until I share this story with you.

In 2007, a volleyball player from Yakima Washington, Shayla Holwenger, broke her leg at a January tournament which led to the discovery of a serious cancer. Sadly, the cancer has metastasized to her lungs and the disease has progressed rapidly in the last 2 weeks. Shayla is now in hospice care at home in Yakima and I am told she would really like to get emails and messages to her Caring Bridge site.

If you can find the time, please visit Shayla's Caring Bridge site and let her know she is being thought of. And while there you really should read her latest journal entry, her strength is unbelieveable.

As I sit here with six healthy children and a volleyball-playing daughter headed to college with her whole life ahead of her, I am humbled by Shayla's maturity and character. I simply cannot imagine what she and her family are facing. Please, if nothing else, remember them in your prayers.

No comments: