Thursday, April 24, 2008

No more whining from me


















I got this in an email today from my brother-in-law, David, stationed in Iraq:

Days are long here and it is getting hot though. I don’t mind the heat so much as the long days, we are always either on the road or on a foot patrol. With the days getting hotter and longer, it gives the enemy more time to emplace the IED’s and he is more active when it is hot, so things are getting more exciting around here nowadays. As u know, we lost 2 of our own on the 14th of April and we lost another 2 yesterday and 2 are in critical condition after another IED hit one of our vehicles, so the morale is kinda low right now. The loss of a Marine or Soldier is never easy, especially on the ones who live through it, but we have no choice but to push forward.

Oh. My. Goodness.

It makes you completely understand my sister's post and her frustration with those of us who whine about the little discomforts in our all-too-easy lives while David, her husband, and all the other men and women serving our country, dodge IEDs on our behalf. I sure feel the need to suck it up and and quit belly-aching.

I cannot begin to thank them appropriately or completely for their sacrifices and those of their families. What all the servicemen and servicewomen are doing for me and my family is far greater than any perceived discomfort or unpleasant situation I might face. My problems definitely pale in comparison.

Please keep David, the men in his unit, and all the other men and women serving our country in your thoughts and prayers today and every day. Also think of my sister Gina, and all the other families whose loved ones are serving. They deserve our prayers as well as our thanks.


Almighty and eternal God, those who take refuge in you will be glad and forever will shout for joy. Protect these soldiers as they discharge their duties. Protect them with the shield of your strength and keep them safe from all evil and harm. May the power of your love enable them to return home in safety, that with all who love them, they may ever praise you for your loving care. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Amen.

Anna B. said...

Amen

Gina said...

Thank you for the post and thinking of David...

AMEN!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nicely said, Devin...thanks for sharing his message.
Libby

Anonymous said...

wow, this definitely puts things into perspective for me. Thanks for sharing this with us, David and all are in my prayers.

Steph said...

Reality check! Thanks for sharing.

jubilee said...

Will keep David and his guys (and Gina) in our prayers.