Thursday, February 07, 2008

Repeat after me, "I am a good mother"

















This mothering thing is a tough gig and if we don't go crazy enough worrying about what others think of the job we're doing, there's always our toughest critics: ourselves.

You know how the story goes, with baby number one I made sure everything was sterilized, yet with each subsequent child my neurosis weakened and now, with poor baby number six, the "five second rule" I had previously adopted became the "was it dropped today or yesterday?" rule.

So in an effort to encourage all you moms out there to feel a little better about your mothering skills, I wanted to make sure you all got the chance to read this article.

And for the record, I am now going to let this article vindicate and release me from the guilt-laden torture I've heaped upon myself since the time three-year old Hayden ate someone else's gum stuck under the table at Taco Bueno.

(I just about vomited.)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Check. Check. Check check check.
Hey! I must be a good mom! I already do all of the slacker moves! Yea me!!!!
Oh, and I just vomited, too, about the gum thing. *shudder*

Camille said...

thanks for posting this.... my 3 year old had me in tears last night after a the king of all tantrums. sometimes it really is just so hard and I wonder if I'm making any progress. Heaven helps us! (and He will)

Abbie said...

ohhhh!! ewwww....that is SO funny. Ok, so is it bad, if I wasn't even anal with my FIRST child? Crap. This new baby is going to be caked in mud 24/7 and fed sour patch kids. *sigh*

Annikke said...

I remember when my sister came to visit me when our littlest one was 12 weeks old. We were driving along and baby was in backseat screaming her head off and I was carrying on a conversation with my sister as though nothing was going on. My sister finally said "You can tell she is baby #3. You don't even hear her." LOL Well, of course I heard her, but I also knew she was not going to die of starvation before our next stop! With baby #1 I probably would have whipped the car over to feed him on the side of the road!
I also have had to change the 5 second rule to was it dropped today or yesterday? rule!