Monday, February 25, 2008

Mommy brain aka: My mind is a terrible thing to waste


Have you ever had so much bumping around in your brain that you just couldn't seem to think straight? Maybe it's just me in my chaotic little life, but the children that need rearing, the problems that need solving, and the projects that need doing have my head so constipated that I can't seem to eek out a coherent thought lately.

I painstakingly search, almost always unsuccessfully, for the simplest of words. I stare blankly at the computer screen as well as the grocery store shelf as I try to remember exactly what I was looking for. I take wrong turns on roads I have traveled for years. People speak to me, and while I know words are coming out of their mouths, I often have no idea what they have just said. And usually by the end of the day my to-do list has inexplicably lengthened, as I am not (as my fourth-grade teacher, Mrs. Wallace, suggested) making wise use of my time. Little is getting done and what does get accomplished took so long to get that way that it doesn't really count anymore.

What is going on?! It is apparent my family needs a new and improved version of me, as it seems I'm growing older and progressively more clueless (just ask my 18 year-old...pfft). It also doesn't help that my closet and house aren't "my" kind of clean right now; clutter bogs down my brain and retards my already sluggish synapses.

Large, important pieces of my mommy-keeps-it-together puzzle are missing. This momma desperately needs to get her groove back.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOH Devin - I so relate. And have to say it makes me feel better to know i'm not alone. Crazy, isn't it? Good luck. if you find the antidote, let me know! Allison at Amomthing

Anonymous said...

Did you write this post or did I?? I am so on the same page with you...
Let me know if you come up with any ideas on how a momma can get her groove back! I will do the same.
Hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Me too! I've been working part time because work begged me to come back, but I spend my time there staring at the computer not knowing what to do first. At home I muddle through the essentials and spin my wheels much of the time. I keep thinking it will get better and it only gets worse. I now lose my keys sometimes, which I have NEVER done. I've been encouraged by others that it DOES get better, so I cling to that hope!

Abbie said...

Well, whats my problem then? I only have 1.5 children and I can totally relate! *sigh*

Do something fabulous for yourself Devin-you deserve it! Hope your batteries get to feeling fully charged soon :)

MKHKKH said...

I have a "placenta brain" these days. I am where you are girl. I have even left my purse in 2 different stores this pregnancy and didn't realize until I needed to purchase something!

YOu need a break. Go get your toes done or go out with hubby for a night. Thinking of you in the mother Alzheimer's group!

Camille said...

I'm with ya, that's for sure. And I only have 2 kids. What is going to happen to me!!!! AHHHHHH

Your kiddies love you--- it's so evident-- and that's all that matters in my book!

Melanie said...

Yep..I am so with you! Funny I just did one of these test thingys online and it said I was a groovy chick..mmm..I should show that to my children!

Unknown said...

Thank you ladies for letting me know that I am not alone in my stupor. I'm really hoping things improve soon...I'm getting a complex!

Anonymous said...

You talking about your life on your blog is far from boring sweetie...that's why I keep coming back. Keep up the good work!

Jenny said...

This must be a worldwide phenomenon. I just wrote about this a while ago as well. At least your post was articulate and well written. Mine said, "Blah blah...forgetful..blah." :) I REALLY don't know how you raise the gaggle of children you have. I really don't. You're amazing and have ever right to be absent minded!