Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tough crowd


Last night at dinner, Reagan said something she thought was very funny. I, of course, laughed, partly because it's my job and partly because I don't like to see her feelings hurt; but she couldn't even elicit a sympathy snort from the rest of the family.

She lamented, "I'm just not funny and I don't know why."

I replied, "Well, maybe you're trying too hard. Why don't you attempt to do a little more listening and a little less talking. I'll bet you could pick up some pointers just by watching and listening to others."

"Maybe so," she sighed.

The meal continued, as did the giggles generated from several other family members. Reagan later decided to make another attempt and, unfortunately, even I wasn't able to force a snicker.

After quite the pregnant pause, Keaton chimed in, as usual, with her dry, quick witt, "Reagan, again, not funny."

I'm not sure if it was the comment from Keaton or the expression she got from Reagan, but it was enough to send the room into uncontrollable guffaws that have reverberated into today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jimmy, you have now been written out of the will. Should there ever be a next time, consult with your older sister.